Tollcross Community Council
Minutes of meeting of Wednesday 31 October 2018, 6.45pm
Tollcross Community Education Centre, 117 Fountainbridge

1. Welcome and apologies
Present: Fiona Allen, Richard Allen, Paul Beswick (Treasurer), Iain Black, Andrew Brough (Chair), Roger Colkett, Andy Devenport, Saty Kaur (Secretary), Liz Summerfield, Andreas Wilhelm
In attendance: Councillor Alasdair Rankin (City of Edinburgh Council)
Apologies: Chris McGregor, David Liddle, Ann Wigglesworth

2. Declarations of interest – none

3. Police matters – PC Drysdale updated the CC as follows:
a. Early morning patrols taking place by Police Scotland and Community Psychiatric Nurses for vulnerable people e.g. rough sleepers, drug users etc providing help with housing, addictions
b. Pedal cycle theft initiative – bike marking being offered to help ensure that any bikes stolen are returned to owners when found
c. Targeted work taking place around drug misuse
d. Increase in incidences of theft from locked spaces in open e.g. cars, shared spaces
e. There has been a recent spate of young people on bikes throwing condiments at the public

4. Previous minutes (28 September 2018)
a. Matters arising – action 8b closed
b. Accepted with slight amends by AB and IB. Action – SK to update accordingly
c. Matters arising –

5. Input from David Hepburn, Station Manager, Tollcross Fire Station:
a. Short discussion about the new proposed crossing at Tollcross Primary School – Scottish Fire & Rescue Service (SFRS) will input to the discussion with the Local Authority when requested
b. CPR training – if people wish to do this they can go online and request it
c. SFRS still do home safety visits. These are evolving to be home safety visits and look at other safety issues in the home that vulnerable people might need e.g. handrails
d. Tollcross Fire Station are 1 of 4 rope rescue teams in Scotland
e. Short term lets and the issues around these – can only enforce what they are aware of

6. Tollcross CC matters:
a. Future planning – Discussion on how to raise the profile of the CC in the area. Some suggestions included leaflet drops (which would need to be designed and produced), holding a kids fun day, taking part in the community canal clean up (next year) and the addition of a noticeboard in the City Centre area (possibly Castle Terrace) Action – SK to speak to CCNP re a CGF application for the noticeboard
b. EACC update – RC updated from the recent EACC meeting where the substantive agenda item was the beginning of the Review of the CC Scheme. The EACC are also inviting votes for the position of Vice Chair at their AGM in November. TXCC took a vote on the two candidates and decided to put forward a supporting vote for John Tibett (Leith Links CC) Action RC to vote at the EACC AGM
c. A Boards – new legislation and ban coming into effect. Everyone is encouraged to report if they see any in the streets/pavements. AB updated that TXCC were nominated but not successful in an award for their contribution to this by Living Streets.

7. Councillors update: Councillor Rankin gave a short update on the Council’s budget consultation that is now underway. This is part of a longer term change strategy and not just focused on budget changes for one year. Consultation began on 1 Oct and closes on 7 December 2018.

8. Planning:
a. 18/04478/FUL – Vita Edinburgh: Change of use from Class 1, 2 & 3 commercial unit to Class 11 (gymnasium) GRANTED
b. 18/09164/FUL – 24 West Tollcross: Change of use of a vacant retail unit to student lounge COMMENTS DUE BY 15.11.18
c. 18/09013/FUL – Busy Bees Nursery: Change of use from Class 10 (nursery) to Class 11 Holistic Centre COMMENTS DUE BY 30.11.18
d. 18/09351/PAN – High Street / Jeffrey Street: New mixed development featuring a hotel, extension to existing hotel, residential blocks and retail units; and creation of new public space ADDITIONAL CONSULTATION REQUIRED / BEING ASSESSED
e. 18/08394/CLP – Co-op, Shandwick Place: Proposed use of existing Co-op as a Travel Shop DELEGATED DECISION
f. 15/02892/PPP Land adjacent to 194 Fountainbridge: Application for modification of s75 agreement relating to planning consent ACCEPTED
g. Lower Gilmore Place update: Met with developers and residents and the application will now be more reflective of the report
h. Local Development Plan: Plans underway for the consultation around the development of the LDP 2030

9. Licensing:
a. West Port cafe– no objections from TXCC
b. 22-27 Bread Street: new restaurant – no objections from TXCC

10. AOCB:
a. FOMBL: met with elected members to discuss whether the Circus Hub could have the length of time on the Meadows reduced. This is their 2nd year so unlikely that this will be changed until re-commissioned
b. Scottish Canals: new Chief Executive is Katherine Topley. Action AD to organise to get some of the CCs around the canal area together to meet with KT
The next meeting of Tollcross Community Council is on Wednesday 28 November 2018
at the new time of 6.45pm in Tollcross Community Education Centre.