Tollcross Community Council
Minutes of meeting of Wednesday 28 November 2018, 6.45pm
Tollcross Community Education Centre, 117 Fountainbridge

1. Welcome and apologies
Present: Fiona Allen, Paul Beswick (Treasurer), Iain Black, Andrew Brough (Chair), Roger Colkett, Andy Devenport, Saty Kaur (Secretary), Andreas Wilhelm, Chris McGregor, Richard Allen (part)
In attendance: Gandolf (part)
Apologies: Ann Wigglesworth, Liz Summerfield, Councillor Karen Doran

2. Declarations of interest – none

3. Community Engagement with EUSA – No representative from EUSA attended the meeting so this item was not discussed

4. Police matters – PC Wotton updated the CC as follows:
a. Three housebreakings have taken place in this period (two in Rosemount Buildings and one to a garage in Lower Gilmore Place)
b. Increase in assaults during this period
c. Increase in road safety incidents with 7 ‘fail to stop and report’ incidents and 1 incident of careless driving and no insurance
d. Incidents of theft include lockers and an attempted robbery on Grove Street. Suspect has been charged for numerous pedal cycle thefts under Operation Agora (62 incidences)
e. There has been a recent spate of young people on bikes throwing condiments at the public with three further incidents this period – one identified as a hate crime in Grove Street
f. There were 4 incidents of vandalism and a store robbery at Bryson Road
g. The CC also flagged up an incident of graffiti at Grindlay Court with offensive language which was previously reported but has not been cleaned up to date SW to check progress with CEC

5. Previous minutes (31 October 2018)
a. Matters arising – action 10b is being progressed by AD
b. Accepted by FA and AB.

6. Tollcross CC matters
a. Bin issues: FA has written to the four City Centre elected members and will continue and report on progress
b. City Centre Transformation exhibition: this is the first stage of consultation and further engagement/consultation will be carried out next year which TXCC will respond to. Clarity is still needed on the detail of the proposals but hopeful that this will appear as the project evolves
c. Noticeboard update: TXCC have decided not to progress a second stand alone noticeboard but instead to look at how to make better us of community noticeboards in shops and cafes in the area to promote the CC, meetings etc
d. A-boards and non compliance: overall the new policy is welcomed by TXCC. There are still shops/businesses that are not adhering to the new policy but CEC are enforcing and improvements are being noticed. Any reports of policy breach should be made direct to CEC
e. Water usage / wastage position paper: FA has been trying to find out if there is any research underway on this subject. SK to speak to sustainability networks
f. Meadows Management Plan: Comments by January 2019 and TXCC will express concerns that they have to be considered in the plan
g. EACC update: AGM voted a new VC (John Tibbitt, Leith Links CC)

7. Councillors update: Councillor Doran sent apologies therefore no update at the November meeting

8. Planning:
a. 18/09164/FUL – 24 West Tollcross: Change of use of a vacant retail unit to student lounge GRANTED
b. 18/04172/FUL – 50 Nicolson Street: Change of use from Class 11 (Assembly and Leisure) to public house and minor external alterations (JD Wetherspoon) GRANTED
c. 18/01693/FUL – 135A-136 Princes Street (Santander): Change of use from Class 2 (Bank) to Class 3 (potentially including an ancillary level of takeaway) and the installation of rear extract duct GRANTED
d. 18/09804/PAN – 24 Westfield Road: Erection of mixed use development comprising student accommodation and ancillary uses, commercial uses and associated landscape and infrastructure PRE-APPLICATION CONSULTATION APPROVED
e. Lower Gilmore Place update: Meeting organised by Glencairn (developers), CEC, residents and TXCC to look at public realm options

9. Licensing:
No new applications this period.
New policy document has been published following consultation and TX will remain an area of overprovision with other areas also identified as areas of overprovision.

10. AOCB:
a. South East Locality Committee: Discussion at the LC on Monday re safer routes to schools for Tollcross Primary School. A locality work plan is to be established.
b. South West Neighbourhood Partnership: Wester Hailes bonfire night issues – in the fortnight leading up to bonfire night there were no less than 30 tonnes of bonfire materials collected.
c. South West Neighbourhood Partnership: there has been an increase of vandalism reported to Saughton Park which is being investigated by CEC and Police Scotland
d. Update on the old brewery clock which is being moved to Fountain Park
The next meeting of Tollcross Community Council is on Wednesday 30 January 2019
at the new time of 6.45pm in Tollcross Community Education Centre.